One of the most useful ways we have to guard ourselves and others from infection is by applying excellent personal hygiene. This means cleaning your hands, especially, but also your body. It also means being cautious not to cough or sneeze on other people, cleansing items that you touch if you are sick, putting things such as tissues (that may have microorganisms) into a bin.
Cleanliness, such as bathing, is very much reliant on the culture in which you reside. In some civilizations, it is expected that you clean your body at least every day and use sprays to prevent body odors. Other cultures have a completely different outlook.
Body odors are caused by a number of reasons, including:
- Chemicals produced while sweating, including pheromones, which are created by the body and sexually draw (or repel) other individuals.
- Impurities expelled through the skin, such as metabolised alcohol.
- The actions of microorganisms that live on the skin and feed on deceased skin cells and perspiration.
- Dirty clothes, such as underwear and socks.
Most contaminations, particularly colds and gastroenteritis, are caught when we place our unwashed hands, which have microorganisms on them, to our mouth. Some impurities are caught when other people’s unclean hands touch the food we consume. Hands and wrists should be splashed with fresh soap and water, using a brush if your fingernails are unclean. Dry your hands with something fresh, such as cloths or hot air dryers. You should always rinse your hands:
- After going to the toilet
- Before cooking or eating food
- After touching dogs or other animals
- If you are near someone who is coughing or has flu.
Decent dental cleanliness includes consistent cleaning and flossing. Bad breath can be caused by illnesses of the teeth, mouth and gums, such as infections. Most individuals have bad breath first thing in the morning because spit is not produced while you’re sleeping. Some foodstuff that can cause bad breath is garlic and onion. Mouth rinses, mouth sprays and chewing gum can help to make it smell better, but if you have a health issue in your mouth, you must see your dentist.